Local Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Smoking Man, Chester to Preston

2 posters

Go down

No Smoking Man, Chester to Preston Empty No Smoking Man, Chester to Preston

Post  xray Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:35 am

He must be the most widely known of all local legends. With his bike load of plastic bags and No Smoking signs he has travelled these parts for many years. It is rumoured that he lost his wife to cancer and has since led a one man crusade to stop smoking in the North West. How far he travels I do not know but I have reports of sightings between Chester and Preston. He obviously is homeless as I know he sleeps under the Alt Bridge on the Formby bye pass. Others have seen him sleeping under the canal bridge near Bootle New Strand. May he continue for many more years in his harmless quest.

xray
Admin

https://locallegend.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

No Smoking Man, Chester to Preston Empty Re: No Smoking Man, Chester to Preston

Post  xray Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:36 am

Ive heard of him! Somtimes see him around southport too.
Is he harmles?
the stroy about his wife is very sad but I dont know if its true.
He really is a ledgend around merseyside.
Anyone know his TRUE story?

xray
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  xray Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:36 am

Yeah, I've seen the no smoking man all over the show too.
I stopped for a while once in Chester to have a listen to what he was saying.
I think his wife did die from cancer, and he believes the government and the tobacco industry to be using ciggies as a mind controlling population reduction technique.
However, its not a good idea to offer him a ciggie, (you know you've all done it ...) as he goes completley ape sh*t, and his rantings increase in tempo and volume.

Go ! Go ! No Smoking Man ! You rule.

xray
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  davey Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:58 am

I first saw this guy outside Hamilton Square station in about 1987 or '88. Doing what he did, his bike overflowing with polythene sheets and cardboard signs. I've seen him in various places - under the stairwell on Wapping at the bottom of James St, riding along various roads on wirral. My dad saw him on the roundabout near junction 5 of the M53 about 8 years ago. Sadly, I think he's dead as I've not seen him for at least 5 or 6 years.

A work colleague knew someone who worked for the DSS in Old Swan or Dovecote and they said he signed on in the 80s and 90s. He was Italian apparently and his first name was Umberto.

davey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down